You may notice some changes to this year's exchange. Last year, a number of other people noted that the anonymity caused many of the stories to be uncommented on, as people were hesitant to comment until they knew the author. This year they will be like our recent remix challenge: anonymous only until posted. Because of that change, authors will be allowed to go ahead and post their stories in the LJ moderation queue on their own this year.
Rules and Guidelines for Yule Fic Exchange:
1. Everyone who requests a story agrees to write one in exchange. Assignments will be kept confidential until they are posted. You may tell only your beta, (if you are getting your story beta'd) who should not also be a participant.
2. Stories should be a minimum of 1,000 words. This is to ensure that one person doesn't get a drabble while another gets a novel.
3. Ratings and Genre must be according to the group's rules on the homepage:
Detailed guidelines can be found in the group file, "Ratings and their definitions.rtf" . Please ask if you have any questions.
4. Please indicate what you are willing to write! For example, let us know if there are any characters/genres/rating/time period, etc that you don't want to write about. Likewise, indicate the same for things you are willing to write about.
Ex: "I am willing to write hobbits and men. I don't want to write elves." Or: "I know nothing about the First Age so please don't ask me to write anything in that time period."
However, remember that the more picky you are about what you're willing to write the harder it may be to match you to someone's request so try to keep as open a mind as possible! It also helps if you are not too precise (AKA, "laundry list") about what you want in your fic. Remember, we will be matching a wide variety of people and the more you require, the harder it may be to find the right person to write your story.
5. Please EMAIL your requests along with what you're willing to write about to
Please DO NOT post any of the requests on the group's list!
6. Requests will be assigned the week of November 8. If you have not already made your request, you need to do so by November 1. If you *have* already made one, you may wish to check and see if it has been received.
7. Writers will have until December 1st to notify the mods of progress on the story. If you believe that you will be unable to complete your story, you must let us know by that date. Stories must be turned in by December 16. Requests for brief one or two day extensions will be handled on a case-by-case basis (e.g. Your story is finished but is in beta, or your story is nearly finished and just needs a little tweaking on the word count or something of that nature.)
Those who do *not* complete their assigned stories on time *and* fail to notify the mods of the problem, will be banned from participating again. We have to be firm about this rule because it is really unfair for someone who writes to miss out on receiving a story in return!
8. If you are willing to pinch hit, please let us know ASAP!
9. If you are willing to beta for the exchange, also please let us know. Some people do have their own betas, but others do not, and it is a good idea to have any exchange story beta'd (although this is not a rule). It's a gift, after all, and you want it to be a good one!
10. You may post your story to the LJ at any time, where it will be held in the moderator’s queue until the reveal date, Dec. 31. Please do not post your story on another site until AFTER that date.
11. This really should not be necessary to remind you of: but, please remember to acknowledge your gift! Read your story and thank the author!