2017 Yule Fic Exchange
It will soon be time for the holidays, and that means our annual Yule Fic Exchange!
We will be doing the Yule Fic Exchange this year in the way we did it last year. Each person may make two different story requests. Each request must be in a separate comment. This will give the last few people to choose a bit more choice. However, once ONE of your requests is chosen the other will be stricken out as well. Your unchosen request will be placed in reserve, for the potluck challenge in January.
Please send us your requests only in a comment to this post using the following format:
(If you commonly use a name other than your LJ name, please indicate that in the name section.)
All comments will be screened. Sign-ups will be open until Tuesday, October 31.
When the sign-up period is ended, a new post will be made; only the requests will be posted, no names. You will then post a comment to the request you wish to write, as well as for your second choice. State clearly which is first or second choice. Claiming will be open until Saturday, November 11.
We will be posting frequent reminders about both the requests and the claims.
The choices will be crossed out as the mods see the requests come in. If two people request the same one before the mods have a chance to cross it out, the second person will get their second request. In the remote possibility that both your choices are already chosen, we will contact you to make a third choice.
Once all stories are claimed, you will be e-mailed with the name of the person you are writing for. You may then check your recipient's own stories and so forth to get an idea of what she likes. Do not contact your recipient however, as authors will be revealed when the stories are revealed.
Story Guidelines and Exchange Rules:
1. Everyone who posts a request is expected to also write a request. Every person who requests a story should receive it on New Year's Day.
2. Stories will be a minimum of 1,000 words and a maximum of 5,000, although we will not quibble if you go over a little bit.
3. All stories should be rated between G and PG-13 and fit the community ratings guidelines. You may check the ratings guidelines at Many Paths to Tread Ratings Guidelines.
4. Stories should be able to be read as a standalone story and not depend on previous stories in a series or an author's body of work to be enjoyed. This does not mean you cannot include some elements of past stories, but the story should not depend on previous knowledge to be understood.
5. Post your story directly to the lotr_communitythis template as a header when posting your story:
As you can see, this is different than the header for the usual challenge stories.
Make sure to put your story title, your recipient's name AND your name in the subject line! Please tag your story "yule fic exchange". (For example: Yule Fun at Bag End for hobbitlover by Mary Sue)
If your story is incorrectly formatted, we may ask you to re-post, or to edit the story after posting. We are not allowed to edit anything for you except for the tags.
If you have any troubles posting please contact a mod for help.
7. If you are unable to write the story or to finish it for some reason, please notify the mods by December 18, so that we may assign a pinch hitter. Anyone who fails to do so will not be allowed to participate in future exchanges! If you suspect that you may not finish before the 30th, please let us know as soon as you can.
8. On January 2, you will be free to post your stories elsewhere. All of the exchange stories will be archived at Many Paths to Tread as well. You may post your stories yourself, which would be appreciated, otherwise after a week or two, one of the mods will enter your story there.
9. Remember to read the story you receive and to thank your author! This is very important!
Suggestions for your requests:
While you certainly want to request the sort of story you want to read, try to be as general as possible. A request that reads more like a story summary is less likely to be chosen:
"I want a Fellowship story in which they are attacked by ruffians and the hobbits are trapped in a tree by wargs and Gimli is injured." may be too specific, and people may feel trapped by the request."
Being more general is better. Indicate the tone of story you would like. For instance:
"I would like an exciting Quest adventure with the Fellowship; Gimli hurt/comfort would be welcome."
"I would like dwarves. The story can have drama but needs an up-beat ending."
"I would like an angsty hurt/comfort story about Maglor."
Since the comments are being screened, please do not post questions here. We can't answer without unscreening. There will be a separate post where you can ask any questions about this year's exchange. QUESTIONS POST. ONLY POST REQUESTS HERE!
Remember: Both your story requests need to be in SEPARATE comments!