It's time to start thinking about fics for Yule!
We will be doing the Yule Fic Exchange this year the same way as the last couple of years...
Sign-ups have been closed
Please send us your requests only in a comment to this post using this format:
All comments will be screened. Sign-ups will remain open until Wednesday, November 18.
When the sign-up period is ended, a new post will be made; only the requests will be posted. You will then post a comment to the request you wish to write, as well as for your second choice. State clearly which is first or second choice.
First choices will be crossed out as the mods see the requests come in. If two people request the same one before the mods have a chance to cross it out, the second person will get their second request.
In the remote possibility that both your choices are already chosen, we will contact you to make a third choice.
Once all stories are claimed, you will be e-mailed with the name of the person you are writing for. You may then check your recipient's own stories and so forth to get an idea of what she likes. Do not contact your recipient however, as authors will be revealed when the stories are revealed.
Story Guidelines and Exchange Rules:
1. Everyone who posts a request is expected to also write a request.
2. Stories will be a minimum of 1,000 words and a maximum of 5,000, although we will not quibble if you go over just a little bit.
3. All stories should be rated between G and PG-13 and fit the community ratings guidelines.
4. Stories will be posted directly to the lotr_community, where they will remain hidden in the moderator's queue until the reveal date. The stories will be revealed on New Year's Eve (December 31, 2015). You may finish and post your story early, although we ask that you wait until after November 30, in order to make sure that all of the regular November stories have cleared the moderator's queue.
5. Use this template as a header when posting your story:
Make sure to put your story title AND your name in the subject line! Please tag your story "2015 yule fic exchange".
If your story is incorrectly formatted, we may ask you to re-post.
If you have any troubles posting please contact a mod for help.
6. If you are unable to write the story or to finish it for some reason, please notify the mods by December 20, so that we may assign a pinch hitter. Anyone who fails to do so will not be allowed to participate in future exchanges!
7. On January 2, you will be free to post your stories elsewhere. All of the exchange stories will be archived at Many Paths to Tread as well.
8. Remember to read the story you receive and to thank your author!
Suggestions for your requests
While you certainly want to request the sort of story you want to read, try to be as general as possible. A request that reads more like a story summary is less likely to be chosen:
"I want a Fellowship story in which they are attacked by ruffians and the hobbits are trapped in a tree by wargs and Gimli is injured." may be too specific, and people may feel trapped by the request.
Being more general is better. Indicate the tone of story you would like. For instance:
"I would like an exciting Quest adventure with the Fellowship; Gimli hurt/comfort would be welcome."
"I would like dwarves. The story can have drama but needs an up-beat ending."
"I would like an angsty hurt/comfort story about Maglor".
Since the comments are being screened, please do not post questions here. We can't answer without unscreening. There will be a separate post where you can ask any questions about this year's exchange.
Questions post here.
2015 YULE FIC EXCHANGE!