The holiday season is upon us, and with it our Yule Fic Exchange!
We will be doing the Yule Fic Exchange this year only slightly different than the last couple of years: This year, we are trying something different. Each person may make two different story requests. Each must be in a separate comment. This will give the last few people to choose a bit more choice. However, once ONE of your requests is chosen the other will be stricken out as well. Your unchosen request will be placed in reserve, for the potluck challenge in January.
Please send us your requests only in a comment to this post using this format:
All comments will be screened. Sign-ups will be open until Monday, November 21.
When the sign-up period is ended, a new post will be made; only the requests will be posted. You will then post a comment to the request you wish to write, as well as for your second choice. State clearly which is first or second choice. Claiming will be open until Sunday, November 27.
The choices will be crossed out as the mods see the requests come in. If two people request the same one before the mods have a chance to cross it out, the second person will get their second request. In the remote possibility that both your choices are already chosen, we will contact you to make a third choice.
Once all stories are claimed, you will be e-mailed with the name of the person you are writing for. You may then check your recipient's own stories and so forth to get an idea of what she likes. Do not contact your recipient however, as authors will be revealed when the stories are revealed.
Story Guidelines and Exchange Rules:
1. Everyone who posts a request is expected to also write a request.
2. Stories will be a minimum of 1,000 words and a maximum of 5,000, although we will not quibble if you go over just a little bit.
3. All stories should be rated between G and PG-13 and fit the community ratings guidelines. Stories should be able to be read as a standalone story and not depend on previous stories in a series or an author's body of work to be enjoyed.
4. Stories will be posted directly to the lotr_community, where they will remain hidden in the moderator's queue until the reveal date.
The stories will be revealed on New Year's Eve (December 31, 2016). You may finish and post your story early, although we ask that you wait until after November 30, in order to make sure that all of the regular November stories have cleared the moderator's queue. You may post to the queue as late as December 30, however we will be having intermittent check-ins to make sure everyone is on track. If you fail to respond to the check-in, we may get in touch with you to be sure all is going well with your story.
5. Use this template as a header when posting your story:
Make sure to put your story title, your recipient's name AND your name in the subject line! Please tag your story "yule fic exchange". (For example: Yule Fun at Bag End for hobbitlover by Mary Sue)
If your story is incorrectly formatted, we may ask you to re-post.
If you have any troubles posting please contact a mod for help.
6. If you are unable to write the story or to finish it for some reason, please notify the mods by December 19, so that we may assign a pinch hitter. Anyone who fails to do so will not be allowed to participate in future exchanges! If you suspect that you may not finish before the 19th, please let us know before that.
7. On January 2, you will be free to post your stories elsewhere. All of the exchange stories will be archived Many Paths to Tread"> as well.
8. Remember to read the story you receive and to thank your author!
Suggestions for your requests
While you certainly want to request the sort of story you want to read, try to be as general as possible. A request that reads more like a story summary is less likely to be chosen:
"I want a Fellowship story in which they are attacked by ruffians and the hobbits are trapped in a tree by wargs and Gimli is injured." may be too specific, and people may feel trapped by the request.
Being more general is better. Indicate the tone of story you would like. For instance:
"I would like an exciting Quest adventure with the Fellowship; Gimli hurt/comfort would be welcome."
"I would like dwarves. The story can have drama but needs an up-beat ending."
"I would like an angsty hurt/comfort story about Maglor."
Since the comments are being screened, please do not post questions here. We can't answer without unscreening. There will be a separate post where you can ask any questions about this year's exchange. QUESTIONS POST.
Remember: Both your story requests need to be in SEPARATE comments!