1. Everyone who requests a story agrees to write one in exchange. Authors will remain anonymous until one week after the stories are posted.
2. Stories should be a minimum of 1,000 words. This is to ensure that one person doesn't get a drabble while another gets a novel.
3. Ratings and Genre must be according to the group's rules on the homepage: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTR_Community_GFIC/
and more detailed guidelines are to be found in the group file, "Ratings and their definitions.rtf" . Please ask if you have any questions.
4. Please indicate what you are willing to write! For example, let us know if there are any characters/genres/rating/time period, etc that you don't want to write about. Likewise, indicate the same for things you are willing to write about.
Ex: "I am willing to write hobbits and men. I don't want to write elves." Or: "I know nothing about the First Age so please don't ask me to write anything in that time period."
However, remember that the more picky you are about what you're willing to write the harder it may be to match you to someone's request so try to keep as open a mind as possible! It also helps if you are not too precise (AKA, "laundry list") about what you want in your fic. Remember, we will be matching a wide variety of people and the more you require, the harder it may be to find the right person to write your story.
5. Please EMAIL your requests along with what you're willing to write about to either Dreamflower ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Cathleen (email@example.com ) , but DO NOT post them on the group's list please!
6. Requests will be assigned the week of November 8 . If you have not already made your request, you need to do so by November 8. If you *have* already made one, you may wish to check and see if it has been received.
7. Writers will have until December 1st to notify the mods of progress on the story. If you believe that you will be unable to complete your story, you must let us know by that date. Stories must be turned in by December 14. Requests for brief one or two day extensions will be handled on a case by case basis (e.g. Your story is finished but is in beta, or your story is nearly finished and just needs a little tweaking on the word count or something of that nature. )
Those who do *not* complete their assigned stories on time *and* fail to notify the mods of the problem, will be banned from participating again. We have to be firm about this rule because it is really unfair for someone who writes to miss out on receiving a story in return!
8. If you are willing to pinch hit, please let us know ASAP.
9. If you are willing to beta for the exchange, also please let us know. Some people do have their own betas, but others do not, and it is a good idea to have any exchange story beta'd. It's a gift, after all, and you want it to be a good one!
10. Stories will be emailed to the mods, who will see to their posting on the reveal date. The reveal, will be Dec. 31, which was the date chosen by a poll of the membership. Authors will remain anonymous for one week, so that readers may have the fun of guessing who might have written the story; then the authors will be revealed as well, on Jan. 6. Please do not respond to comments before that date, and please do not post the story on another site until AFTER that date.
11. This really should not be necessary to remind you of: but, please remember to acknowledge your gift! Read your story and thank the author!